Blogs > A Haven of Sports

If it has to do with New Haven and sports, you'll read about it here. Yale, Quinnipiac, New Haven, Southern Connecticut, Albertus Magnus, high schools, the New Haven Open, and Walter Camp to name a few. Plus we'll give you a look at the best to see each day.

Monday, July 12, 2010

An unmistakable voice; unless you were in an elevator

Like many of you, I grew up listening to the Voice of the Yankees; even on occassion announced myself in his voice as I stood at the plate for a Wiffle ball game in the back field behind our house.

However, for all the times I got chills hearing his introductions, I will remember him most for an incident that happened on my first visit to the press box at Yankee Stadium.

I was just out of college and we were in the elevator at Yankee Stadium headed to the press box. A sharp-dressed elderly gentleman asked what floor I wanted and pushed the button.

I was so impressed that the Yankees had an elevator operator, I reached into my pocket to get a tip for the guy. The men I was with stopped me. Luckily.

As we got off the elevator they said, "You don't know who that is, do you?"

I had no idea.

It was Bob Sheppard, who passed away Sunday at age 99.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home